The 8th & I Reunion Association

An organization of Marines
who served at
Marine Barracks
8th & I Streets, S.E.,
Washington D.C.

David Reilly's Photos of 8th and I:

My name is Captain David Reilly, Merchant Marine Officer formerly an E-4 USMC. I was at 8th and I , 1958 to 1961 in MCI
I was picked to do the first manual of arms hand book for the Marine Corps with the M-14 rifle. I have the five pictures of this taken at the Naval Yard in 1960. Keep in mind no one had ever seen this weapon. I spent Two weeks under hot lights and many hours spit polishing my visor and shoes. When it was all done and getting ready to be put in the manual the Commandant said, “My god, we can’t use these, the Marine has bow legs”. I was so excited to think that I would be the Marine everyone was looking at when they were taught the manual of arms in boot camp. Proud and disappointed at the same time. I was the first Marine to see the M-14 which was under wraps. Oh Well, such is life in the Marine Corps. LOL

Maj. Gen. Litzenberg, Inspector General of the Marine Corps, greets Lt. Gen Kim, Commandant of the Korean Marine Corps at Arlington Cemetery

Lance Cpl. David Reilly having pictures taken for the manual of arms. This was the new M-14 never before seen. Taken at the Navel Yard, Washington, D.C.

Gen. White, Chief of Staff of the Air Force, signs the Marine Barracks Evening Parade guest book. Gen. White Marine Barracks Commander, Col. Jonas M. Platt.

Drum Major , United States Marine Band – Master Sergean Edmond DeMar – June 12, 1956

Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps at the Sunset Parade on June 28, 1957

The picture speaks for itself. We all remember these Friday Marine Barracks Parades.

Marine Corps Memorial with Washington background. June 1, 1956

Taken at the Marine Barracks, for all the Birthday parties in Washington, D. C.

Cutting the Cake at Marine Corps Ball, Marine Barracks

Sunset Parade – Marines salute as Old Glory is brought down in honor of the Leatherneck medal winners. August 28, 1953

Gen. Twining, the Commandant and Col. Platt are shown with their friends and relatives at a special Sunset Parade held for Gen. Twining

Gen. Gulick signs Honor Roll (Guest Book) at the competion of his retirement ceremonies

I received this e-mail from a close friend of mine who lives in western Oklahoma. He is a Marine infantryman wounded in Viet-Nam during the Tet offensive in 1968. It's a very interesting story.

Semper Fi, Dave Reilly

One of the older technicians at work was telling me a story today about a pistol that was in his in-laws family. He tells me that his wife's Late father, who was a marine in the battle of Iwo Jima, had brought back his pistol from the war. I'm thinking, ok must be a nice old 1911 model, one that has probably seen more than a few soldiers hands. then comes the rest of the story. Turns out that the guy's father in law, had a camera with him in his sack, and had taken some pictures of when they raised the flag on Mt. Suribachi. He submitted his photo, but it was not chosen as the one that is now famous. The family still has this picture hanging in their living room. A few days after the flag raising, the Japanese attacked the Marine, and another fight broke out. As they are in the middle of everything, a Japanese sniper takes a shot at him. The bullet hits him in the right wrist, and hits his gun hanging from his belt. The round, after completely disabling his right hand, penetrates his leather pistol holster, and embeds itself into the slide of his 1911. Fragments from the round penetrate through the other side of the holster, and into his leg, injuring him further. The marine was able to get to the medic, where he was then evacuated to care for his injuries. So the technician asks me if I would like to see it. After telling him the obvious, he calls his wife's brother and asks if he could bring it up to the shop. Here are the pictures I took after listening to the same story again from the Marine's son. (it was a good story, I had no problem listening twice.) I asked him if he would mind me posting them on here, as long as I blocked out the serial number. He said go right ahead. Although I had to blur out the serial #, it fell into the early/mid 600,000 range. Found this Colt: S/N 450,000 to 629,500 = Oct. 24, 1918 to April 10, 1919 The Marine's name was Horace Arthur Smith "Arty". he passed away 3 years ago.

Contact us at: 8th&I Reunion Association

Return to top of page

©Copyright - All Rights Reserved - June, 2008
8th & I Reunion Association

Design and Layout by BT Productions